The incident began on October 7. Gather stats through December 6:
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 3,121, up from 2,940 on Day 58
- Average daily take: 51.2
- Capture goal: 4,400
- Removal goal: 3,500
- Returned: 181, up from 46 on Day 58
- Deaths: 16, up from 15 on Day 58
- Shipped: 2,838, up from 2,708 on Day 58
Helicopters did not fly on Day 60.
A stallion was put down on Day 61 due to arthritis. The death rate is 0.5%.
The cumulative total includes 1,228 stallions, 1,258 mares and 635 foals. The gather page shows 1,398 stallions.
1,398 + 1,258 + 635 ≠ 3,121
Foals represented 20.3% of the horses captured. Of the adults, 49.4% were male and 50.6% were female.
Body condition scores were not reported.
Gather activity has concluded at Salt Wells Creek and Adobe Town.
On Day 60, 97 stallions were returned to Adobe Town and 38 mares, treated with an unspecified type of fertility control, were returned to Salt Wells Creek.
Five HMAs are involved in the roundup. Operations will resume in January at White Mountain and Little Colorado.
Day 61 ended with 86 unaccounted-for animals. The total number of horses removed is 3,121 – 181 = 2,940, which includes these animals.
- AML: 2,165 (across five HMAs)
- Forage assigned to horses: 25,980 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 5,105
- Forage liberated to date: 35,280 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 29,400 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 191,791 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMAs by livestock: 15,982 (32% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 18,147
RELATED: Rock Springs Roundup Day 58.