The incident began on October 11. Gather stats through November 8:
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 934, up from 891 on Day 26
- Average daily take: 32.2
- Capture goal: 947
- Removal goal: 615
- Returned: 362, up from 260 on Day 26
- Deaths: 27, up from 23 on Day 26
- Shipped: 531, up from 446 on Day 26
One horse was put down on Day 28, followed by three more on Day 29, with IM 2021-007, Euthanasia of Wild Horses and Burros Related to Acts of Mercy, Health or Safety, giving cover to the acts.
The death rate increased to 2.9%.
Foals represented 17.6% of the horses captured. Of the adults, 51.9% were male and 48.1% were female.
Body condition scores were not given.
The observed percentage of foals is not consistent with a growth rate of 20% per year, a benchmark used by land managers to predict herd sizes.
On Day 29, 102 horses were returned, including 51 mares treated with PZP. This practice, endorsed by many of the advocates, slows population growth and keeps the resource scales tipped in favor of the public-lands ranchers for longer periods of time.
The release may signal the end of gather ops at Rock Creek. Five HMAs are involved in the roundup.
Day 29 ended with 14 unaccounted-for animals.
The capture goal has almost been reached. The removal goal is about 91% complete.
- AML: 999 (across five HMAs)
- Forage assigned to horses: 11,988 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 1,188
- Forage liberated to date: 6,864 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 5,720 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 66,897 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from Complex by livestock: 5,575 (11% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 6,574