The incident began on October 11. Gather stats through October 31:
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 682, up from 552 on Day 19
- Average daily take: 32.5
- Capture goal: 947
- Removal goal: 615
- Returned: 260, up from 166 on Day 19
- Deaths: 19, up from 12 on Day 19
- Shipped: 371, no change from Day 19
One horse was put down on Day 20, followed by four more on Day 21, all due to pre-existing conditions. The Day 18 report now shows two deaths, not included in the last update. The death rate is 2.8%.
Foals represented 17.6% of the horses captured. Of the adults, 53.2% were male and 46.8% were female.
Body condition scores were not reported.
Of the horses returned on Day 19, approximately 55% were stallions and all of the mares were treated with PZP. These pest control actions reduce growth rates and keep the resource scales tipped in favor of the public-lands ranchers for longer periods of time, which is what the advocates are trying to accomplish.
The location of gather activity was not given. Five HMAs are involved in the roundup.
Day 21 ended with 32 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 999 (across five HMAs)
- Forage assigned to horses: 11,988 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 1,188
- Forage liberated to date: 5,064 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 4,220 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: Unknown
- Horses displaced from Complex by livestock: Unknown
- True AML: Unknown
RELATED: Owyhee Roundup Day 19, Status of Owyhee Allotments.