The incident began on October 11. Gather stats through October 19:
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 305, up from 190 on Day 5
- Average daily take: 33.9
- Capture goal: 947
- Removal goal: 615
- Returned: 55
- Deaths: 5, up from 4 on Day 5
- Shipped: 163, up from 79 on Day 5
Helicopters did not fly on Day 7 while operations moved to another area and were grounded again on Day 8 due to weather.
A yearling was put down on Day 6 due to malnutrition, per IM 2021-007, Euthanasia of Wild Horses and Burros Related to Acts of Mercy, Health or Safety. The Comprehensive Animal Welfare Program must not include rehab of underweight youngsters?
The death rate through Day 9 is 1.6%.
Foals represented 18.0% of the horses captured. Of the adults, 51.6% were male and 48.4% were female.
Body condition scores were not reported.
Fifty five horses were released on Day 7, including 20 mares treated with contraceptives.
The location of gather ops was not given. Five HMAs are involved in the roundup.
Day 9 ended with 82 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 999 (across five HMAs)
- Forage assigned to horses: 11,988 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 1,188
- Forage liberated to date: 3,000 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 2,500 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: Unknown
- Horses displaced from Complex by livestock: Unknown
- True AML: Unknown
RELATED: Owyhee Roundup Day 5.