The incident began on October 11. Gather stats through October 15:
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 190
- Average daily take: 38.0
- Capture goal: 947
- Removal goal: 615
- Returned: None
- Deaths: 4
- Shipped: 79
Two horses were put down on Day 4 and two more on Day 5 due to pre-existing conditions, including a foal that was malnourished.
All four deaths were justified by IM 2021-007, Euthanasia of Wild Horses and Burros Related to Acts of Mercy, Health or Safety. The death rate through Day 5 is 2.1%.
Foals represented 16.8% of the horses captured. Of the adults, 52.5% were male and 47.5% were female.
Body condition scores were not reported.
The location of gather ops was not given. Five HMAs are involved in the roundup.
Day 5 ended with 107 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 999 (across five HMAs)
- Forage assigned to horses: 11,988 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 1,188
- Forage liberated to date: 2,280 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 1,900 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: Unknown
- Horses displaced from Complex by livestock: Unknown
- True AML: Unknown
RELATED: Owyhee Roundup Delayed.