The incident began on September 15. Gather stats through September 21:
- Type: Emergency
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 252, up from 126 on Day 5
- Average daily take: 36.0
- Capture goal: 600
- Removal goal: 600
- Returned: 0
- Deaths: 6, up from 4 on Day 5
- Shipped: 142, up from 88 on Day 5
A mare was put down on Day 6 because of starvation, followed by another on Day 7 for the same reason. The death rate is now 2.4%.
Could those mares be nursed back to health at a rescue? The rationale for both deaths was given by IM 2021-007, Euthanasia of Wild Horses and Burros Related to Acts of Mercy, Health or Safety.
Foals represented 23.0% of the horses gathered. Of the adults, 35.6% were male and 64.4% were female.
Body condition scores were not provided.
Day 7 ended with 104 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 217
- Forage assigned to horses: 2,604 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 1,018
- Forage liberated to date: 3,024 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 2,520 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 7,394 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMA by livestock: 616 (1.2% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 833
RELATED: Jackson Mountains Roundup Day 5.