The incident began on September 15. Gather stats through September 19:
- Type: Emergency
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 126, up from 98 on Day 3
- Average daily take: 25.2
- Capture goal: 600
- Removal goal: 600
- Returned: 0
- Deaths: 4, up from 1 on Day 3
- Shipped: 88, up from 42 on Day 3
Two mares were put down on Day 4 because of hernias and a foal was euthanized because it was orphaned, boosting the death rate to 3.2%.
No effort was made to place the foal with a rescue, such as the nearby Chilly Pepper Miracle Mustang? All three deaths were justified by IM 2021-007, Euthanasia of Wild Horses and Burros Related to Acts of Mercy, Health or Safety.
Foals represented 22.2% of the horses gathered. Of the adults, 29.6% were male and 70.4% were female.
Body condition scores were not provided.
Day 5 ended with 34 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 217
- Forage assigned to horses: 2,604 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 1,018
- Forage liberated to date: 1,512 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 1,260 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 7,394 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMA by livestock: 616 (1.2% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 833
RELATED: Jackson Mountains Roundup Day 3.