The incident began on September 16. Reports covering activity through September 19 have been posted to the Modoc news page:
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 98
- Average daily take: 24.5
- Capture goal: 600
- Removal goal: 600
- Returned: Unknown
- Deaths: Unknown
- Shipped: Unknown
Gather operations were cut short yesterday by weather.
The death rate is unknown.
The breakdown between stallions, mares and foals was given for Day 4 only.
Body condition scores were not provided.
The number of unaccounted-for animals is not known.
Losses to the economy of Modoc County, mentioned in the Day 1 report, means the horses have been trying to reclaim some of their food from the public-lands ranchers.
- AML: 402
- Forage assigned to horses: 4,824 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 1,926
- Forage liberated to date: 1,176 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 980 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 15,711 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from WHT by livestock: 1,309 (2.6% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 1,711
RELATED: Devil’s Garden Roundup Begins.