The incident began on January 11. Gather stats through January 24:
- Target: Horses
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Captured: 982, up from 852 on Day 10
- Average daily take: 70.1
- Capture goal: 2,060
- Removal goal: 2,030
- Returned: 4, no change from Day 10
- Deaths: 11, up from 10 on Day 10
- Shipped: 917, up from 797 on Day 10
Helicopters did not fly on Day 11 due to poor weather.
One horse was put down on Day 12. The death rate is 1.1%.
The cumulative total includes 409 stallions, 444 mares and 129 foals.
Youngsters represented 13.1% of the horses captured, consistent with a herd growth rate of 8% per year, assuming a 5% death rate.
Of the adults, 47.9% were stallions and 52.1% were mares.
Body condition scores were not reported.
The location of the trap site within the Complex was not provided.
Day 14 ended with 50 unaccounted-for animals.
The number of horses removed to date is 978. Mares returned to the Complex will be treated with fertility control of unspecified type.
- AML: 638 (across two HMAs, one WHT and one HA)
- Forage assigned to horses: 7,656 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 3,244
- Forage liberated to date: 11,736 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 9,780 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 43,344 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from Complex by permitted grazing: 3,612
- True AML: 4,250
- Stocking rate at new AML: 3.5 wild horses per thousand acres
- Horses displaced from Complex by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Pancake Roundup Day 10.