The incident began on October 7. Gather stats through December 1:
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 2,727, up from 2,478 on Day 54
- Average daily take: 48.7
- Capture goal: 4,400
- Removal goal: 3,500
- Returned: 46, no change from Day 54
- Deaths: 15, up from 12 on Day 54
- Shipped: 2,495, up from 2,270 on Day 54
A stallion suffered a broken leg and a mare suffered a ruptured uterus on Day 55 as a result of the roundup. A stallion was euthanized on Day 56 due to a pre-existing leg injury. The death rate is now 0.6%.
The cumulative total includes 1,066 stallions, 1,106 mares and 555 foals. The gather page shows 1,236 stallions.
1,236 + 1,106 + 555 = 2,897
Foals represented 20.4% of the horses captured. Of the adults, 49.1% were male and 50.9% were female.
Body condition scores were not reported.
Gather activity continued at Salt Wells Creek and Adobe Town. Five HMAs are involved in the roundup.
Day 56 ended with 171 unaccounted-for animals. The total number of horses removed is 2,727 – 46 = 2,681, which includes these animals.
- AML: 2,165 (across five HMAs)
- Forage assigned to horses: 25,980 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 5,105
- Forage liberated to date: 32,172 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 26,810 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 191,791 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMAs by livestock: 15,982 (32% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 18,147
RELATED: Rock Springs Roundup Day 54.