The incident began on September 15. Gather stats through September 26:
- Type: Emergency
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 392, up from 346 on Day 10
- Average daily take: 32.7
- Capture goal: 600
- Removal goal: 600
- Returned: 1, no change from on Day 10
- Deaths: 18, up from 12 on Day 10
- Shipped: 320, up from 277 on Day 10
Six horses were put down on Day 11 due to pre-existing conditions, including four that were malnourished. The death rate is now 4.6%, up from 3.5% on Day 10.
IM 2021-007, Euthanasia of Wild Horses and Burros Related to Acts of Mercy, Health or Safety, was cited as the rationale for the deaths.
Foals represented 23.5% of the horses gathered. Of the adults, 38.3% were stallions and 61.7% were mares, an assignably large gap between males and females.
Body condition scores were not provided.
Day 12 ended with 53 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 217
- Forage assigned to horses: 2,604 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 1,018
- Forage liberated to date: 4,692 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 3,910 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 7,394 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMA by livestock: 616 (1.2% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 833
RELATED: Jackson Mountains Roundup Day 10.