The incident began on September 1. Gather stats through September 9:
- Type: Emergency
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 631, up from 501 on Day 7
- Average daily take: 70.1
- Capture goal: 783
- Removal goal: 733
- Returned: 1, no change from Day 7
- Deaths: 2, up from 1 on Day 7
- Shipped: 520, up from 370 on Day 7
A colt was euthanized on Day 8 due to pre-existing conditions, lifting the death rate to 0.3%.
Gather operations occurred outside the HMA on Day 9. The project area is much larger than the HMA, as shown on the map in Appendix A of the Final EA (page 62 in the pdf).
The roundup is not over, as reported by some news outlets.
The breakdown between stallions, mares and foals captured on Day 9 was not provided.
As of Day 8, foals represented 12.7% of the horses gathered. Of the adults, 43.1% were male and 56.9% were female.
The low percentage of foals may be due to the darting program. The gap between males and females may indicate the sex ratio of the herd is not 1:1 (50/50).
Body condition scores were not reported.
Day 9 ended with 108 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 362
- Forage assigned to horses: 4,344 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 896
- Forage liberated to date: 7,560 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 6,300 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 16,827 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMA by livestock: 1,402 (2.8% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 1,764
RELATED: Sand Wash Roundup Day 7.