The incident began on September 1. Gather stats through September 7:
- Type: Emergency
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 501, up from 329 on Day 5
- Average daily take: 71.6
- Capture goal: 783
- Removal goal: 733
- Returned: 1, no change from Day 5
- Deaths: 1, no change from Day 5
- Shipped: 370, up from 190 on Day 5
The death rate has dropped to 0.2%.
The breakdown between stallions, mares and foals captured on Day 5 was added to the gather page.
Foals represented 13.2% of the horses gathered. Of the adults, 41.4% were male and 58.6% were female.
The low percentage of foals may be due to the darting program. The gap between males and females may indicate the sex ratio of the herd is not 1:1 (50/50).
This pattern—more mares captured than studs—has appeared in every wild horse roundup this summer since Onaqui.
Body condition scores were not reported.
Day 7 ended with 129 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 362
- Forage assigned to horses: 4,344 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 896
- Forage liberated to date: 6,000 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 5,000 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 16,827 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMA by livestock: 1,402 (2.8% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 1,764
RELATED: Sand Wash Roundup Day 5.