The incident began on August 2. Gather stats through August 23:
- Horses captured: 1,575, up from 1,491 on Day 20
- Average take: 71.6 horses per day
- Capture goal: 2,200
- Removal goal: 2,200
- Returned: 0
- Deaths: 9, up from 6 on Day 20
- Shipped: 1,558, up from 1,467 on Day 20
Three foals were put down on Day 21 due to pre-existing conditions, raising the death rate to 0.6%.
Foals accounted for 18.4% of the horses gathered. Of the adults, 42.2% were male and 57.8% were female.
Body condition scores were not reported.
Day 22 ended with 8 unaccounted-for animals.
The gap between males and females continues to increase. The observed percentages can’t be produced by a random process centered at 50% males / 50% females with n = 1,285 adults. The expected range of variation is found with basic statistical formulas.
To date, 542 stallions have been taken from the Complex, with 743 mares. The sex of the foals was not provided.
- AML: 789 (four HMAs involved)
- Forage assigned to horses: 9,468 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 6,032 plus foals
- Forage liberated to date: 18,900 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 15,750 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 72,946 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMAs by livestock: 6,079 (12% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 6,868
RELATED: Antelope Roundup Day 20.