The incident began on August 2. Gather stats through August 21:
- Horses captured: 1,491, up from 1,402 on Day 18
- Average take: 74.6 horses per day
- Capture goal: 2,200
- Removal goal: 2,200
- Returned: 0
- Deaths: 6, no change from Day 18
- Shipped: 1,467, up from 1,314 on Day 18
The death rate is 0.4%.
Foals accounted for 18.2% of the horses gathered. Of the adults, 42.7% were male and 57.3% were female.
Body condition scores were not reported.
Day 20 ended with 18 unaccounted-for animals.
The gap between males and females has increased. The observed percentages cannot be produced by a random process centered at 50% males / 50% females with n = 1,219 adults. The range of expected variation is found with basic statistical formulas.
To date, 520 stallions have been taken from the Complex, with 699 mares. The sex of the foals was not provided.
- AML: 789 (four HMAs involved)
- Forage assigned to horses: 9,468 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 6,032 plus foals
- Forage liberated to date: 17,892 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 14,910 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 72,946 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMAs by livestock: 6,079 (12% of off-range holding)
- Remark: Yes, Virginia, it’s that bad
- True AML: 6,868
RELATED: Antelope Roundup Day 18.