The incident began on July 23. Gather stats through August 14:
- Target: Horses and burros
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Category: Cruel and costly
- Horses captured: 2,111, up from 2,110 on Day 21
- Burros captured: 292, up from 200 on Day 21
- Average daily take: 91.8 horses, 12.7 burros
- Capture goal: 1,978 horses, 339 burros, horses increased to 2,106 on Day 17
- Removal goal: 1,868 horses, 339 burros, horses increased to 1,996 on Day 17
- Horses returned: None
- Burros returned: None
- Horse deaths: 31, no change from Day 21
- Burro deaths: None
- Horses shipped: 2,076, up from 2,075 on Day 21
- Burros shipped: 189, up from 97 on Day 21
The figures above are based on the daily reports, not the totals posted by the BLM.
The trap was moved on Day 22 or 23.
One burro and 27 horses have been returned to the HMA but this has not been documented in the daily reports.
The horse death rate is 1.5%.
The horse total includes 819 stallions, 942 mares and 350 foals.
Youngsters represented 16.6% of the horses captured.
Of the adults, 46.5% were male and 53.5% were female.
The burro total includes 149 jacks, 113 jennies and 30 foals.
Youngsters represented 10.3% of the burros gathered.
Of the adults, 56.9% were male and 43.1% were female.
The herd can’t be growing at a rate of 20% per year with a birth rate of 10%.
A better estimate would be 5% per year, assuming a death rate of 5% per year.
Body condition scores on Days 22 and 23 ranged from 4 to 5.
The trap is in the Dry Valley Home Range.
The HMA is subject to permitted grazing.
Day 23 ended with four unaccounted-for horses and 103 unaccounted-for burros.
The horse capture goal has been reached and the burro goal is 86% complete.
Mares treated with fertility control will be returned to the area at a later date.
- AML: 758 horses and 116 burros, equivalent to 816 horses
- Forage assigned to horses and burros: 9,792 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 3,316 horses and 401 burros, equivalent to 3,516 horses
- Forage liberated to date: 27,084 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 22,570 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 27,178 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Animals displaced from HMA by permitted grazing: 2,264 horses
- True AML: 3,022 horses and 116 burros, equivalent to 3,080 horses
- Stocking rate at new AML: 4.1 horses per thousand acres
- Horses displaced from HMA by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Twin Peaks Roundup, Day 21.