The incident began on July 23. Gather stats through August 7:
- Target: Horses and burros
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Category: Cruel and costly
- Horses captured: 1,837, up from 1,458 on Day 13
- Burros captured: 38, no change from Day 13
- Average daily take: 114.8 horses, 2.4 burros
- Capture goal: 1,978 horses, 339 burros
- Removal goal: 1,868 horses, 339 burros
- Horses returned: None, no change from Day 13
- Burros returned: None, no change from Day 13
- Horse deaths: 23, up from 21 on Day 13
- Burro deaths: None, no change from Day 13
- Horses shipped: 1,657, up from 1,258 on Day 13
- Burros shipped: 38, no change from Day 13
The figures above are based on the daily reports. They may differ from the totals at the gather page.
No burros have been taken since Day 8.
A mare and filly were put down on Day 16 due to pre-existing conditions.
The horse death rate is 1.3%.
The horse total includes 722 stallions, 805 mares and 310 foals.
Youngsters represented 16.9% of the horses captured.
Of the adults, 47.3% were male and 52.7% were female.
The herd can’t be growing at a rate of 20% per year with a birth rate of 17% per year.
A better estimate would be 12% per year, assuming a death rate of 5% per year.
Body condition scores on Days 14 through 16 ranged from 4 to 5.
The trap is in the North Twin Peaks Home Range.
The HMA is subject to permitted grazing.
Day 16 ended with 157 unaccounted-for horses and no unaccounted-for burros.
The horse capture goal is 93% complete but the burro goal is only 11% achieved.
Mares treated with fertility control will be returned to the area at a later date.
- AML: 758 horses and 116 burros, equivalent to 816 horses
- Forage assigned to horses and burros: 9,792 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 3,316 horses and 401 burros, equivalent to 3,516 horses
- Forage liberated to date: 22,272 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 18,560 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 27,178 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Animals displaced from HMA by permitted grazing: 2,264 horses
- True AML: 3,022 horses and 116 burros, equivalent to 3,080 horses
- Stocking rate at new AML: 4.1 horses per thousand acres
- Animals displaced from HMA by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Twin Peaks Roundup, Day 13.