The incident began on July 1. Gather stats through July 7:
- Target: Horses
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Captured: 328, up from 235 on Day 5
- Average daily take: 46.9
- Capture goal: 383
- Removal goal: 353
- Returned: 1, no change from Day 5
- Deaths: 8, no change from Day 5
- Shipped: 244, up from 177 on Day 5
The death rate declined from 3.4% to 2.4%.
The total, based on the daily reports, includes 118 stallions, 167 mares and 43 foals.
The total at the gather page is 318.
Youngsters represented 13.1% of the animals captured. Of the adults, 41.4% were male and 58.6% were female.
Body condition scores were not given.
The herd can’t be growing at a rate of 20% per year with a birth rate of 13% per year.
Abnormal sex ratios are often found in herds subject to the Montana Solution.
The location of the trap site within the HMA was not disclosed.
Day 7 ended with 75 unaccounted-for animals.
Mares treated with fertility control will be returned to the area at a later date.
Operations will likely conclude by Day 9.
- AML: 314
- Forage assigned to horses: 3,768 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 541
- Forage liberated to date: 3,924 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 3,270 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 1,135 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMA by permitted grazing: 94
- True AML: 408
- Stocking rate at new AML: 3.1 horses per thousand acres
- Horses displaced from area by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Buffalo Hills Roundup Day 5.