The incident began on April 25. Gather stats through April 29:
- Target: Burros
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Captured: 78, up from 55 on Day 3
- Average daily take: 15.6
- Capture goal: 490
- Removal goal: 490
- Returned: None
- Deaths: None
- Shipped: 78, up from 55 on Day 3
Helicopters were grounded on Day 4 due to high winds.
The cumulative total includes 34 jacks, 37 jennies and seven foals.
Youngsters represented 9% of the animals captured. Of the adults, 48% were jacks and 52% were jennies.
The herd can’t be growing at a rate of 20% per year with a birth rate of 9%. If the death rate is 5%, the growth rate would be around 4% per year. The BLM did not indicate if the jennies had been treated with the Montana Solution.
The location of the trap site was not provided.
Day 5 ended with no unaccounted-for animals.
The number of burros removed to date is 78.
- AML: Zero
- Forage assigned to burros: None
- Pre-gather population: Unknown
- Forage liberated to date: 468 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 390 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: Unknown
- Burros displaced from area by permitted grazing: Unknown
- True AML: Unknown
- Stocking rate at new AML: Unknown
- Burros displaced from area by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Death Valley Auxiliary Roundup Day 3.