The incident began on January 11. Gather stats through February 13:
- Target: Horses
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Captured: 2,054, up from 1,980 on Day 32
- Average daily take: 60.4
- Capture goal: 2,060
- Removal goal: 2,030
- Returned: 18, no change from Day 32
- Deaths: 26, up from 24 on Day 32
- Shipped: 1,960, up from 1,871 on Day 32
Gather operations have concluded.
A stallion was put down on Day 34 and another died of a broken neck, lifting the death rate to 1.3%.
The cumulative total includes 853 stallions, 954 mares and 247 foals.
Youngsters represented 12.0% of the horses captured, consistent with a herd growth rate of seven percent per year, assuming a five percent death rate. A growth rate of 20% per year is often used by land managers to predict herd sizes.
Of the adults, 47.2% were stallions and 52.8% were mares.
Body condition scores were not reported.
The location of the trap site within the Complex was not provided.
Day 34 ended with 50 unaccounted-for animals. Some will be returned to the Complex and some will be shipped, with final results announced on Day 35.
The number of horses removed to date is 2,036.
- AML: 638 (across two HMAs, one WHT and one HA)
- Forage assigned to horses: 7,656 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 3,244
- Forage liberated to date: 24,432 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 20,360 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 43,344 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from Complex by permitted grazing: 3,612
- True AML: 4,250
- Stocking rate at new AML: 3.5 wild horses per thousand acres
- Horses displaced from Complex by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Pancake Roundup Day 32.