The incident began on January 11. Gather stats through February 2:
- Target: Horses
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Captured: 1,510, up from 1,413 on Day 20
- Average daily take: 65.7
- Capture goal: 2,060
- Removal goal: 2,030
- Returned: 4, no change from Day 20
- Deaths: 13, no change from Day 20
- Shipped: 1,431, up from 1,258 on Day 20
Helicopters did not fly on Day 22 due to high winds.
The death rate is 0.9%.
The cumulative total includes 635 stallions, 693 mares and 182 foals.
Youngsters represented 12.1% of the horses captured, consistent with a herd growth rate of 7% per year, assuming a 5% death rate. A growth rate of 20% per year is often used by land managers to predict herd sizes.
Of the adults, 47.8% were stallions and 52.2% were mares.
Body condition scores were not reported.
The location of the trap site within the Complex was not provided.
Day 23 ended with 62 unaccounted-for animals.
The number of horses removed to date is 1,506. Mares returned to the Complex will be treated with fertility control of unspecified type.
- AML: 638 (across two HMAs, one WHT and one HA)
- Forage assigned to horses: 7,656 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 3,244
- Forage liberated to date: 18,072 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 15,060 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 43,344 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from Complex by permitted grazing: 3,612
- True AML: 4,250
- Stocking rate at new AML: 3.5 wild horses per thousand acres
- Horses displaced from Complex by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Pancake Roundup Day 20.