The incident began on January 16. Gather stats through January 18:
- Target: Horses
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Captured: 93, up from 24 on Day 1
- Average daily take: 31.0
- Capture goal: 233
- Removal goal: 150
- Returned: None
- Deaths: 1, none reported on Day 1
- Shipped: 9, none reported on Day 1
A mare was euthanized on Day 3. The death rate is 1.1%.
The cumulative total includes 42 stallions, 38 mares and 13 foals.
Youngsters represented 14.0% of the horses captured, consistent with a herd growth rate of 9% per year, assuming a 5% death rate.
Of the adults, 52.5% were stallions and 47.5% were mares.
Body condition scores were not reported.
The location of the trap site within the HMA was not provided.
Day 3 ended with 83 unaccounted-for animals.
The nine privately owned horses returned to their owner on Day 3 were placed into the Shipped category.
- AML: 180
- Forage assigned to horses: 2,160 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 277
- Forage liberated to date: 1,116 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 930 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 9,608 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMA by permitted grazing: 801
- True AML: 981
- Stocking rate at new AML: 6.1 wild horses per thousand acres
- Horses displaced from HMA by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Desatoya Roundup in Progress.