The incident began on January 11. Gather stats through January 14:
- Target: Horses
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Animals captured: 514, up from 157 on Day 1
- Average daily take: 128.5
- Capture goal: 2,060
- Removal goal: 2,030
- Returned: None
- Deaths: 9, up from 2 on Day 1
- Shipped: 309 (none shipped on Day 1)
A stallion died unexpectedly on Day 2 and a mare was put down. Three horses were euthanized on Day 3 followed by two on Day 4. The death rate is now 1.8%.
The cumulative totals include 213 stallions, 233 mares and 68 foals.
Youngsters represented 13.2% of the horses captured, consistent with a herd growth rate of 8% per year, assuming a 5% death rate.
Of the adults, 47.8% were stallions and 52.2% were mares.
Body condition scores were not reported.
The location of the trap site within the Complex was not provided.
Day 4 ended with 196 unaccounted-for animals.
The number of horses removed to date is 514. Mares returned to the Complex will be treated with population suppression of unspecified type.
- AML: 638 (across two HMAs, one WHT and one HA)
- Forage assigned to horses: 7,656 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 3,244
- Forage liberated to date: 6,168 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 5,140 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 43,344 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from Complex by permitted grazing: 3,612
- True AML: 4,250
- Stocking rate at new AML: 3.5 wild horses per thousand acres
- Horses displaced from Complex by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Pancake Roundup in Progress.