Operations resumed on January 6. Gather stats through January 13:
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 3,686, up from 3,552 on Day 96
- Average daily take: 37.2
- Capture goal: 4,400
- Removal goal: 3,500
- Returned: 580, up from 488 on Day 96
- Deaths: 33, up from 24 on Day 96
- Shipped: 3,222, up from 3,152 on Day 96
A mare was put down on Day 97 due to bad knees. Three horses were euthanized on Day 98 due to broken legs and emaciation. Five more were eliminated on Day 99 due to bad knees and club feet.
All survived the chase and would be alive today if the roundup had been called to off.
The death rate has climbed from 0.7% on Day 96 to 0.9% on Day 99. The death rate since the incident resumed is 3.0%.
The total includes 1,432 stallions, 1,502 mares and 752 foals. The gather page shows 1,429 stallions and 1,489 mares.
Foals represented 20.4% of the horses captured. Of the adults, 48.8% were male and 51.2% were female.
The percentage of foals is consistent with a herd growth rate of 15% per year, assuming a 5% death rate.
Body condition scores were not reported.
Gather activity has moved to White Mountain and Little Colorado but the location of the trap site was not specified.
The number of horses shipped has not been included in the cumulative totals and the figure above is based on the daily reports.
If 3,671 horses have been captured as stated at the gather page, 3,222 have been shipped and 33 have died, the maximum number of horses that could be returned to the area is 416, not 580 as stated in the cumulative totals. The numbers don’t balance.
The number of horses returned to the range has grown by 20 since Day 96 but the jump was not explained in the daily reports.
The number of horses removed to date, based on the cumulative totals, is 3,163, about 90% of the project goal.
- AML: 2,165 (across five HMAs)
- Forage assigned to horses: 25,980 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 5,105
- Forage liberated to date: 38,136 AUMs per year, adjusted for horses returned
- Water liberated to date: 31,780 gallons per day, adjusted for horses returned
- Forage assigned to livestock: 191,791 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMAs by livestock: 15,982 (32% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 18,147
RELATED: Rock Springs Roundup Day 96.