The incident began on December 20. Gather stats through December 29:
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Animals captured: 468 horses, 91 burros
- Average daily take: 46.8 horses, 9.1 burros
- Capture goal: 648 horses, 100 burros
- Removal goal: 438 horses, 100 burros
- Returned: No horses, no burros
- Deaths: 8 horses, no burros
- Shipped: 268 horses, 91 burros
Two stallions and four mares were put down on Day 9 due to pre-existing conditions, increasing the death rate to 1.7%.
The cumulative totals include 137 stallions, 214 mares and 117 foals. On the burro side, 47 jacks, 30 jennies and 14 foals.
Youngsters represented 25.0% of the horses captured and 15.4% of the burros.
Of the adults, 39.0% were stallions and 61.0% were mares. For the burros, 61.0% were jacks and 39.0% were jennies.
Body condition scores were not reported.
The location of gather activity within the WHR is not known.
Day 10 ended with 192 unaccounted-for horses and no unaccounted-for burros.
The number of horses removed to date is 468, which exceeds the goal, but the number to be released has not been announced.
Horses removed = Horses captured – Horses returned
Mares returned to the area will be treated with GonaCon, a pesticide that may function as a sterilant.
The number of burros removed is 91.
Operations are not open to public observation.
- AML: 500 horses, zero burros
- Forage assigned to horses: 6,000 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 736 horses, 95 burros and an unspecified number of foals
- Forage liberated to date: N/A
- Water liberated to date: N/A
- Forage assigned to livestock: None
- Animals displaced from WHR by livestock: None
- True AML: 500
RELATED: Nevada WHR Roundup Day 8.