The incident began on September 28. Gather stats through October 13:
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 1,216, up from 897 on Day 11
- Average daily take: 76.0
- Capture goal: 1,220
- Removal goal: 1,050
- Returned: 95, up from 82 on Day 11
- Deaths: 20, up from 14 on Day 11
- Shipped: 960, up from 592 on Day 11
The gather page could not be accessed for three days due to a BLM IT failure.
The removal goal has been exceeded. A remark in the Day 16 report suggests the roundup is over.
Five horses were put down on Day 13, followed by another on Day 14, due to pre-existing conditions. The death rate is 1.6%.
On Day 12, 13 stallions were returned to the High Rock HMA, which may have been an attempt to skew the sex ratio in a way that slows population growth.
Body condition scores have not been reported.
Gather ops from Day 12 to 16 were in the Fox Hog HMA. Six HMAs are involved in the roundup.
The numbers of stallions, mares and foals were not given for Days 1 to 8.
Foals represented 9.5% of the horses captured from Days 9 to 16. Of the adults, 53.8% were male and 46.2% were female.
The low percentage of foals suggests the herd has not been growing at a rate of 20% per year, a benchmark often cited by land managers.
Day 16 ended with 141 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 496
- Forage assigned to horses: 5,952 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 1,300
- Forage liberated to date: 13,452 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 11,210 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: Unknown
- Horses displaced from Complex by livestock: Unknown
- True AML: Unknown
RELATED: Surprise Complex Roundup Day 11.