The incident began on September 1. Gather stats through September 11:
- Type: Emergency
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 667, up from 631 on Day 9
- Average daily take: 60.6
- Capture goal: 783
- Removal goal: 733
- Returned: 53, up from 1 on Day 9
- Deaths: 2, no change from Day 9
- Shipped: 591, up from 520 on Day 9
The death rate is 0.3%.
Gather operations are now occurring outside the HMA. The project area is much larger than the wild horse area, as shown on the map in Appendix A of the Final EA (page 62 in the pdf).
The breakdown between stallions, mares and foals captured on Day 9 has not been provided.
Foals represented 13.5% of the horses gathered, excluding Day 9. Of the adults, 42.7% were male and 57.3% were female.
The low percentage of foals may be due to the darting program. With most of the herd captured, females outnumbered males by a ratio of 1.3 to 1.
Body condition scores were not reported.
Day 11 ended with 21 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 362
- Forage assigned to horses: 4,344 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 896
- Forage liberated to date: 7,368 AUMs per year (adjusted for horses returned)
- Water liberated to date: 6,140 gallons per day (adjusted for horses returned)
- Forage assigned to livestock: 16,827 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMA by livestock: 1,402 (2.8% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 1,764
RELATED: Sand Wash Roundup Day 9.