The incident began on August 2. Gather stats through August 29:
- Type: Emergency
- Horses captured: 2,202, up from 1,940 on Day 26
- Average take: 78.6 horses per day
- Capture goal: 2,200
- Removal goal: 2,200
- Returned: 0
- Deaths: 11, up from 10 on Day 26
- Shipped: 2,091, up from 1,809 on Day 26
The roundup goal has been reached.
A stallion was put down on Day 28 due to injuries sustained in the gather. The death rate is 0.5%.
Foals accounted for 16.7% of the horses gathered. Of the adults, 42.3% were male and 57.7% were female.
Body condition scores were not reported.
The location of gather operations has not been specified. Four HMAs are involved.
Day 28 ended with 100 unaccounted-for animals. Field work will likely conclude in another day or two.
To date, 776 stallions and 1,058 mares have been captured, which may or may not reflect the distribution of males and females in the Complex.
- AML: 789 (across four HMAs)
- Forage assigned to horses: 9,468 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 6,032 plus foals
- Forage liberated to date: 26,424 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 22,020 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 72,946 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMAs by livestock: 6,079 (12% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 6,868
Theme for this year’s roundup: You can have your wild horse and burro program as long as it doesn’t interfere with the grazing program.
RELATED: Antelope Roundup Day 26.