Here are the prices at the local feed store as of May 1:
- Alfalfa-grass hay, $19 per bale if you buy 20 or more (add $1 if not)
- Equine Senior, $27 per 50-pound bag
- Rice bran pellets, $19 per 50-pound bag (discount for 5 or more dropped)
- Oat hay pellets, $19 per 50-pound bag
- Alfalfa hay pellets, $18 per 50-pound bag
- Layena Crumbles, $21 per 50-pound bag (for chickens)
- Salt with minerals, $11 per 50-pound block
The drive-out price was $673, including $55 for our precious government.
If you deduct the chicken feed and two salt blocks, the total still exceeds $600, putting the cost of feeding six horses for one month at approximately $105 per AUM.
RELATED: Grain Tank Refilled.