Great. Best way to do that? Don’t focus on the horses.
Instead, learn about the policies, programs and organizations that are forcing them off the range and/or driving their numbers downward.
- Grazing programs
- Resource management plans
- Public-lands ranchers, their overlords, cheerleaders and political allies
- Outplacement programs (adoption, sale, training, shows)
- Financial incentives
- Advocacy groups that push contraceptives
- Proponents of sanctuaries
- Signatories to the Path Forward
- Signatories to the PZP manifesto
- Fuels reduction programs
- Vegetation management programs
- Statutes and regulations
- Stock grower’s associations and farm bureaus
- Departments of agriculture and wildlife
- Colleges and universities
- Rangeland resource commissions
- County commissions
- Public lands councils
- Agricultural and hunting interests
- Advisory boards
Where money is concerned, be very careful with your donations.