The incident began on July 1. Gather stats through July 3:
- Target: Horses
- Type: Planned
- Method: Helicopter
- Captured: 156, up from 68 on Day 1
- Average daily take: 52.0
- Capture goal: 383
- Removal goal: 353
- Returned: None
- Deaths: 3, up from 1 on Day 1
- Shipped: 72, up from zero on Day 1
A foal was found dead on Day 1, cause unknown. A mare was found dead on Day 2, rattlesnake bite. A stallion was put down on Day 3, physical deformity.
The death rate is now 1.9%.
The cumulative total includes 51 stallions, 88 mares and 17 foals.
Youngsters represented 10.9% of the animals captured. Of the adults, 36.7% were male and 63.3% were female.
The herd can’t be growing at a rate of 20% per year with a birth rate of 11% per year.
The abnormal sex ratio is often found in herds subject to the Montana Solution.
The location of the trap site within the HMA was not disclosed.
Day 3 ended with 81 unaccounted-for animals.
The removal goal is 44% complete. Mares treated with fertility control will be returned to the area at a later date.
- AML: 314
- Forage assigned to horses: 3,768 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 541
- Forage liberated to date: 1,872 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 1,560 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 1,135 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMA by permitted grazing: 94
- True AML: 408
- Stocking rate at new AML: 3.1 horses per thousand acres
- Horses displaced from area by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Buffalo Hills Roundup Begins.