The incident began on February 20. Gather stats through February 23:
- Target: Horses
- Type: Planned
- Method: Bait
- Captured: 15
- Average daily take: 3.8
- Capture goal: 70
- Removal goal: 39
- Returned: None
- Deaths: None
- Shipped: 13
The cumulative total includes 5 stallions, 8 mares and 2 foals.
Youngsters represented 13.3% of the horses captured, consistent with a growth rate of 8% per year. Land managers often use a rate of 20% per year to predict herd sizes.
Of the adults, 38.5% were stallions and 61.5% were mares.
Body condition scores ranged from three to five.
The location of the trap site within the HMA was not provided.
Day 4 ended with two unaccounted-for animals.
The number of horses removed to date is 15.
Mares returned to the HMA will be treated with fertility control of unspecified type.
- AML: 253
- Forage assigned to horses: 3,036 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 224
- Forage liberated to date: 180 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 150 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 9,756 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from HMA by permitted grazing: 813
- True AML: 1,066
- Stocking rate at new AML: 6.9 wild horses per thousand public acres
- Horses displaced from HMA by drilling and mining: Ask the advocates
RELATED: Challis Roundup in Progress.