The incident began on October 9. Gather stats through October 15:
- Type: Emergency
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 214
- Average daily take: 30.6
- Capture goal: 250
- Removal goal: 250
- Returned: None
- Deaths: 1 (not captured)
- Shipped: 214
On Day 4, a mare was found in a hole where a Joshua Tree used to be, too weak to get up. Following IM 2021-007 policy and procedures, the horse was put down.
Foals represented 13.1% of the horses captured. Of the adults, 43.0% were male and 57.0% were female.
Body condition scores were not reported.
The low percentage of foals suggests the herd is not growing at a rate of 20% per year, a benchmark used by land managers to predict herd sizes.
Operations are taking place on the China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station.
Day 7 ended with no unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 168
- Forage assigned to horses: 2,016 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: Unknown
- Forage liberated to date: 2,568 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 2,140 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: Unknown
- Horses displaced from HMAs by livestock: Unknown
- True AML: Unknown
RELATED: Centennial Roundup in Progress.