The incident began on September 8. Gather stats through September 12:
- Type: Emergency
- Method: Helicopter
- Horses captured: 316, up from 98 on Day 1
- Average daily take: 63.2
- Capture goal: 1,900
- Removal goal: 1,900
- Returned: 0
- Deaths: 6, up from 2 on Day 1
- Shipped: 270, none on Day 1
Reports for Days 3, 4 and 5 were not published until today.
Three horses were put down on Day 2 due to pre-existing conditions. Another was euthanized on Day 5 for similar reasons, bringing the death rate to 1.9%.
Foals represented 20.9% of the horses gathered. Of the adults, 44.8% were male and 55.2% were female.
Body condition scores ranged from two to four.
Yesterday the trap was moved from Sand Springs to Sheepshead. Three HMAs are involved in the roundup.
Day 5 ended with 40 unaccounted-for animals.
- AML: 892 (total for three HMAs)
- Forage assigned to horses: 10,704 AUMs per year
- Pre-gather population: 2,500
- Forage liberated to date: 3,792 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 3,160 gallons per day
- Forage assigned to livestock: 27,011 AUMs per year (estimated)
- Horses displaced from Complex by livestock: 2,258 (4.5% of off-range holding)
- True AML: 3,150
RELATED: Barren Valley Roundup Begins.