- Burros captured: 303, up from 243 on Day 122
- Capture goal: 500
- Removal goal: Probably 500
- Returned: 0
- Deaths: 0
- Shipped: 209, no change from Day 122
The cumulative total on the gather page is 306.
Foals represented 14.9% of the burros gathered. Of the adults, 61.6% were male and 38.4% were female, not what you’d expect to find in a sample of n = 303 taken from a simple random process centered at 50% males / 50% females.
Do these results tell you anything useful about the herd at large?
There were 94 burros in the unaccounted-for category.
The incident is not open to public observation.
- AML: 478
- Pre-gather population: Unknown
- Forage liberated to date: 1,818 AUMs per year
- Water liberated to date: 1,515 gallons per day
- Burros displaced from HMA by privately owned livestock: 1,222
- True AML: 1,700
- Excess animals before roundup: Unknown
RELATED: Black Mountain Roundup, Part 2, Day 122.
UPDATE: The limits of variation for males and females should be based on n = 258 adults, not n = 303. The observed percentages are still outside the calculated limits with n = 258. The formula for computing the limits can be found in this Wikipedia article.